ROOTS

This is where my roots are:

DEAD KENNEDYS- "CALIFORNIA UBER ALLES"
When I was 14, Gina Lamont and I put on In God We Trust, Inc. and cut off all our hair. Her mom was pissed. When I got busted at 15, this album was the first thing taken away.


FUGAZI- "WAITING ROOM"
The night Kurt Kobain died, I was 15 and lost like every other 15 year old. Life was so confusing and awkward. When Kurt died, I was devastated. I sat up all night in the dark and played my 13 Songs album. That album is still one of my favorites and this song will always be the best Fugazi song ever!



DESCENDENTS- "SOUR GRAPES"
I remember being 15 and driving down from OC to Mexico for Amaris's 16th birthday listening to Livage. As we smoked clove ciggs and passed the nuclear tits, I cried because I knew my mom would kill me.


MINOR THREAT- "OUT OF STEP"
Young enough to not know better. Claiming straight edge is cool at 14, but wait a year till the drugs start rolling in.


BIKINI KILL- "WE DON'T NEED YOU"
Bikini Kill rocked my world. I remember purchasing Pussy Whipped at Black Hole Records in Fullerton at age 12. I was so embarrassed that the album was called Pussy Whipped. I was so young and had no idea what a tremendous impact Bikini Kill would play on the rest of my life. Being one of the only all grrrL bands, they taught me about woman's right, girl power and self worth. I still hold them dear in my heart. This is where my little girl innocence turned into bad grrrL feminist.

No comments: