THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS



It was the year between 6th & 7th grade. The year when things started making sense. I was understanding individuality and realizing that I didn't need to be like all the other girls from Nordstrom's Charm School. My friend Christie's Aunt gave me Meat is Murder and The Queen Is Dead tapes. I really could relate! I was already into tons of New Wave, 80's stuff and of course rap, but these tapes essentially changed everything. I was immediately prompted to find out exactly what everything meant, in the lyrics, the literature references and the siren that would be draw me in for the rest of my life. I was so amazed that a musician could be so poetic and so right on my adolescent level. The sounds drowned me out and here I wake today, still impacted and influenced by the strange and lovable sounds of The Smiths. Since I received the tapes, I have been to countless Smiths/Moz conventions, concerts featuring one or more members ( I have now seen them all ), and owe tons of rare bootlegs. Even my high school boyfriend, Johnny, was obsessed. My sister introduced me to a guy Tony, who was so fortunate to meet Moz one day. This kid Tony went so far as to have Moz sign his arm and then go and get it permanently tattooed on his arm forever. I don't blame him, I would have done the same. If you have not heard The Smiths, now is the time. Johnny Marr is an amazing guitarist who shreds any fuckin hippie jam band away. Paired with Morrissey's poerty and soothing voice they make an unstoppable team who will never be reckoned with. Unfortunately, The Smiths split in the 80's, but you can still see all members separately. Not as fun as the days of the Cemetery Gates, but you can always find Moz performing his new hits, or watch Johnny Marr DJ in Portland... as for the rest of the members... they rock too.. it is just Morrissey and Marr are a team of genius who will never be matched.

So, take me out tonight...


... and if a double decker bus... crashes into us... to die by your side...
well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

No comments: